1. How did the idea for your business first come about?
I had an idea in my mind of the perfect necklace to wear with a dress about 6 years ago to a friends 21st, I couldn't find this dream piece anywhere as I had totally come up with it in my brain and it didn’t exist. So I went about making what I thought would be cool.. from there, Emeldo was born.
2. When did you have a ‘f*ck-it moment’ and decide you were going to go all in and start your business
6 months ago. Wow. Best idea ever.
I was working full time with cotton on kids HQ as the creative specialist there. It was an awesome role but also very time consuming. I definitely saw Emeldo take is toll as a "side" business. I couldn’t commit to both 100%, so something had to go.
3. What were some major challenges you had when starting your business? And how did you overcome them?
Finance. Tax is f**ked. I still don’t get it. Only 2 weeks ago I got someone to help me with this. My advice? MAKE USE OF THOSE FRIENDS WHO LOVE ACCOUNTING BY CHOICE.
3. What has been your biggest “pinch me” moment?
The pinch me moments happen all the time.
I started my mini business and in the first few months had a write up on design files. From there, it all just fell into place. These moments have happened ever since then. Key is to say YES to all opportunities
4. Starting a business can be gruelling -what keeps you motivated, and keeps you going?
Traveling, new plans, exercise + creating new things. I don't stop, and the moment I stop I feel like I lose motivation and get lazy.
5. What do you do to create a work-life balance?
Well I actually struggle to work when I have a crazy social life too! So as much as some people are addicted to work, I'm more addicted to socialising and doing things other than work (this is so not the right answer). Just ensure you have catch ups locked in, get out and exercise daily and say yes to friends so you can't let them down! It keeps you busy!