Do you ever get this feeling?
5 months into the year and I was having a conversation with a friend.
"How in the world is it almost June? I feel like I've achieved NOTHING."
She challenged me and asked, is that true? Have you actually achieved nothing?
I took a moment and thought hard about my achievements. Of course I knew she was right. There were things that I have accomplished over the last 5 months that I have simply forgotten.
Our minds do wonderful and bizarre things. We can easily forget all the small wins we have accumulated over time. It could be that we’re such super ambitious people that we become so focused on that BIG goal and obsessed with the end result; that we completely forget the small wins that create the journey inbetween.
Here are 3 ways to better remember the wins in life:
- Sunday Sesh - Spend some time on Sunday to reflect and plan the week ahead. During reflection, write down a list of wins. Continue to add to this list and skim through the list weekly. Imagine by the end of the year how proud you’ll be as you read through this list!
- Jar of Awesome - This is a great way to capture all the sweet moments you’re going to forget a week or month later. These become inspiration and confidence cookies for when you feel a bit down or that you “haven’t achieved anything”.
- 5 Minute Journal - An effective way to set the intention of the day and also review your achievements at the end of the day. Having done this on/off for the last few years, I can definitely notice the difference when I consistently do this, and how my mind focuses on more of the good things in life and being more mindful.
I’ve added the template I follow, below.
5 Minute Journal Template
- What are 3 things I’m grateful for?
- What are 3 things that would make today great?
- Daily affirmation:
- What are 3 amazing things that happened today?
- How could I have made today better
Did you find this useful? Let me know. Share some of your tips with me too!
Sheryl Thai, CEO
League of Extraordinary Women